Heavy equipment can be a challenge to transport. You need specialized equipment and services to move heavy machinery, especially if you want to do it quickly and safely. Fortunately, some professionals specialize in this type of transportation: heavy haulers. These companies have the necessary equipment for safe and efficient transportation of large machinery – from cranes and backhoes to excavators, forklifts, dump trucks, and more!
The right companies are fully equipped with hydraulic lifts, dollies, straps, and other tools to help you move your heavy equipment. They also know how to do it safely, so there is no need to worry about damage or accidents while your machinery is in transit.
But not all heavy haulers are created equally, and it's essential to find the right one for your needs. So we're here to get into the details on heavy hauling and make sure you know what to do when hiring a heavy hauler for your business needs.
What are Heavy Equipment Transportation Services?
Heavy equipment transport, otherwise known as heavy hauling or heavy machinery transport, is an essential service for companies that need to move large machinery from one location to another. Heavy machinery can be used in various industries, including construction, mining, oil and gas, and more. Heavy machinery can range from large generators and cranes to bulldozers and excavators. The heavy equipment transport industry is a booming one, with a growing number of companies looking for ways to move their machinery from place to place.
When it comes time for your company to relocate its heavy machinery, you will want to ensure that the transportation services you choose are reliable and affordable. The best way to determine who should serve as the transporter of your company’s heavy machinery is by analyzing their specific needs and evaluating how they wish their machines would be handled during transit. If your business needs a unique combination of specialized handling procedures or fast delivery times with climate-controlled vehicles, then our experts are here for you!
To learn more about how Moto Transportation can help move your machinery safely while keeping costs down contact us today!
Types of Heavy Hauler Equipment
When it comes to heavy haul transportation, you can't just load your equipment onto any old truck and expect it to arrive in one piece. There are many different types of heavy haul transportation equipment, each designed for a specific use case. Some are better suited for hauling hefty loads than others, so it’s essential to consider the type of machinery you need to move and its size when deciding.
Types of Heavy Hauler Equipment
Extendable Flatbed Trailers
Flatbed trailers are the most common type of trailer on the highway, and they can carry all kinds of freight. For longer loads like pipe, large-scale lumber, and machinery there are stretch flatbeds that have a large surface area to accommodate these items.
Extendable Double Drop Deck Trailers
Drop and double drop deck trailers are used to haul tall freight that would otherwise be too high for 8’6” height maximums. The well in the center of this trailer design allows for two decks, one on top of the other, with taller loads placed higher up as a result. Freight that is up to 12 feet high can be legally hauled with a drop-deck trailer.
Removable Gooseneck Trailers
There are regular RGNs and heavy-duty RGNs for use with extra-long or overweight loads. Gooseneck trailers are ideal for loading and unloading large equipment because the detachable front end allows you to drive vehicles up onto the trailer.
Step Deck Trailers
Also called drop deck trailers, step decks can haul larger loads than other types of trailers. Step deck trailers have two decks. The lower deck is used to carry large freight, while smaller items can be placed on top of the upper deck and ramps are added for loading and unloading.
The type of equipment you need to transport will determine the equipment used. For example:
- If your load is too heavy for a regular flatbed trailer or small crane, you'll need a specialized crane attachment on top of your semi-truck. These cranes are designed with an extra weight capacity to pick up and carry loads that would otherwise be impossible for a standard vehicle's suspension system to bear.
- If your load requires additional height for it not to exceed overpass clearance regulations (for example), then consider renting an articulated boom truck instead of hiring an entire fleet of dump trucks which may not meet those height restrictions themselves due to their low profile design.
- You'll also need special trailers if transporting large pieces such as tractors or excavators – trailers with hydraulically operated ramps enable easy loading and unloading without requiring manual labor!
4 Considerations for Selecting the Right Heavy Hauler
If you’re in the market for a professional heavy hauler, it can be tough to know who will get the job done right. Sure, there are plenty of people out there who claim they can handle all kinds of heavy equipment transportation jobs.
Heavy haulers should have:
- The right tools for moving heavy equipment
- The proper training in how to move heavy equipment safely and quickly
- A safe heavy hauler procedure
- The ability to deliver your equipment on time
There's nothing worse than a company claiming they can handle your heavy equipment transportation job only to find out that they don't have the right equipment or training. Don't trust those fly-by-night operations – trust Moto Transportation! Our team is highly trained in how to move all kinds of heavy equipment safely, and we have all of the tools needed for any job.
Scale of Resources
Key questions to ask about a heavy haulers’ scale of resources:
- How much do they haul?
- Do they have enough trucks and resources to get it done?
- Do they have a variety of tools and equipment at their disposal?
- If they don’t have the correct equipment, do they have the connections to find a reliable carrier?
- Do they have the staff to tackle your inquiries and needs?
Key questions to ask about heavy haulers’ experience and expertise:
- How long have they been in business?
- Have they worked on projects similar to yours before or are they new in town?
- What kinds of e
- Are employees trained professionals, or did they just start this business?
- Do these guys know what's up when it comes down to it – or do their trucks get stuck under bridges because they didn’t know the area beforehand?
Key questions to ask about heavy haulers’ safety procedures and records:
- How do drivers train?
- What are their accreditations?
- Does the company have safety procedures outlined clearly for you?
- What is their damage rating with deliveries?
- What is the record for heavy haul projects?
Key questions to ask about heavy haulers’ timeliness:
- Does the company operate under the schedule you need?
- Do they have any scheduling issues?
- Will they deliver your load on time?
- What is their track record for on-time delivery?
What Are Heavy Equipment Transportation Procedures?
Heavy equipment transportation is the process of moving heavy machinery from one location to another. It can be done as a standalone service, or it can be included in other services such as equipment relocation or site cleanup. If you're planning on having your heavy machinery moved, there are some important things to keep in mind.
Generally speaking, you'll want someone who has experience with this kind of work and will use specialized equipment and techniques. A professional heavy haul company is an excellent choice for the job because they'll know how best to handle all types of machinery, including large-scale machines like bulldozers and excavators that can weigh up to 30 tons each!
Customers looking to get their heavy equipment transported from point A to point B by truck should consider the expertise, pricing, and other benefits available through a Heavy Equipment Transport company like Moto.
Whether it's a customer in need of a large piece of heavy machinery to be delivered to a work site or to a customer, Moto can transport the load expediently and effectively. At Moto, we offer a wide variety of heavy machinery shipping services for both large and small enterprises.
Get your heavy machinery where you need it fast – and trust that we know what we're doing.